Tuesday, April 10, 2007

THE MAN WAS A SAINT

Surnames are received, not chosen, and it’s a measure of sophistication to not get too excited about unusual last names.

Some bloggers express amusement at my Supervisor’s name, Ed Jew. Sophisticated people know that Jew is a common Chinese surname.

Sometimes, though, we have to notice.

I once came across a software marketing type, a woman, named Death, Joyce Death, or something. She pronounced it “deeth,” rhymes with grit your teeth.

I tend to notice Dickensian names, like the congressman named Swindell (second syllable gets the accent).

Today, thanks to my weird interest in the Jesuits, I came across the most remarkably Dickensian name ever: Father John Hardon, S.J.

(Click on the pic for a bio.)

See the RenewAmerica story about a sainthood bid for the late Jesuit.


----- o -----

No comments: